Skip to main content

2017 Dividend Income and current Portfolio

In October last year, I tabulated my investing portfolio for the first time and wrote about it here: My portfolio at 23 years old. I started investing because I wanted better returns on my extra cash(it's not the cash in my emergency funds) than just leaving it inside the bank account while I was going to be in National Service. I did not start investing because I wanted dividend income but as I read on, I was inspired by the financial bloggers in Singapore. So how much did I receive for 2017? 


CDL Hospitality Trusts: $66.10 
CapitaMall Trust: $44.56 
Nikko AM STI ETF: $46.35 

Total dividends: $157.01
Average dividends per month: $13.08

The dividends are currently kept in my CIMB FastSaver bank account with 1% p.a. I will be buying the Singapore Savings Bonds(fully backed by the Singapore government) with the dividends along with some of my emergency cash to obtain a slightly higher return while still maintaining flexibility. 
Screen-grab from the Singapore Savings Bonds website
Update: I should point out that there is a $2 transaction fee if you redeem the bonds early. Go to the website to find out more: Redemption

Current Portfolio
Stock
Shares
Current Market Value 
(12/1/2018) 
Return (dividends and capital gains/loss) 
CDL Hospitality Trusts
800
$1432.00
+$391.30
CapitaMall Trust
400
$824.00
+$94.54
Singtel
600
$2160.00
-$64.00
Nikko AM STI ETF
686
$2468.37
+$437.66


$6884.37
+$859.50

Comments

  1. Hi there, the NIKKO AM STI ETF under POSB's invest saver RSP is unable to reinvest dividends received? Or am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      You are not wrong. I have tried reinvesting before and I was unable to do so.

      Another blogger covered it in 2015 in the update in pink:
      http://gotmoneygothoney.blogspot.sg/2015/05/posb-invest-saver-40-re-invest-dividends.html

      However, the last time I tried was more than 2 years ago, I am not aware of any changes, if there are any currently. You will need to call POSB for confirmation!

      Regards
      K

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Value-for-money: Kinokuniya or Booksdepository

Meet Kinokuniya and Books Depository.  The former has physical brick-and-mortar and online stores while the latter is solely an online retailer.  For all the book lovers out there, I am sure these are some of the places we go in order to satisfy our book cravings. Kinokuniya was where I picked up my first book on investing. I summarised some of my thoughts on that book here . Since then, I have bought at least 6 other books on investment and other genres that cost at least $200 in total from Kinokuniya.  Book lovers should also know that Kinokuniya is not the cheapest for pricing. I came to know Books Depository  recently, and boy is there a huge difference in price.  Let's compare an investment book, say  Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits and Other Writings.  On Books Depository : $18.56, original price: $30.03  On Kinokuniya : $37.40, member's price: $33.66    If we are to compare prices only, then we have a clear winner here. Kinokuniya is st

My Insurance Policies

Too expensive. A waste of money. I don't need insurance. I don't know how much I'm covered. My parents bought insurance for me and handles it.  These are just some of what people say. I've had some friends who said that when the topic is broached.  Insurance isn't easy to understand at all!  So many policies, so many insurers.   To be honest, I'll still choose to let my parents handle it all. But I'm no longer a little boy. I took it upon myself to understand all my policies that my parents bought and which are the policies that I bought on my own. As to how it really started, other than me turning 21, it was also partly due to me wanting to know what I am actually buying.  So it is time to look into the policies I have. Readers who know more about insurance, feel free to correct me on any point. Gladly appreciate it!  Life Insurance CPF Dependents Protection Scheme Covers every CPF member from 21 years old and insures $46,000 in even

Transitioning into an 'investor'

Nobody said it was going to be easy. I admit that I feel like giving up sometimes. Well, it's only human to choose the easiest path out. For the second half of 2015, I have been actively seeking higher returns on my savings in bank accounts, been busy reading about the current economy, markets and checking the Straits Times Index (STI). After these few months, I'd would to think that I have improved slightly in developing the mindset, slowly but surely transitioning into becoming an 'investor'.  Hunting for free money  In the later half of 2015, I have opened up an additional bank account: CIMB FastSaver which offers 1% p.a with no strings attached. I have not started work and I have not paid for my own bills to earn higher interest in local banks(e.g the OCBC 360 account)  When I shared with my parents and friends, they were skeptical. A Malaysian bank? Perhaps it doesn't inspire much confidence when they see